Effective: Dec 3, 2018
INFORMATION WE COLLECT: We collect information about you in three ways: directly from your input, from third-party
sources, and through automated technologies.
- Your Input - information you provide to us: The types of personal information that we collect directly from
you depends on the content and features of the Service you use and how you otherwise interact with us and may
- Contact details, such as your name, email address, postal address, phone number and social media handle;
- Account login credentials, such as usernames and passwords, password hints and similar security information;
- Other account registration and profile information, including educational, professional and other background information, such as your field of study, current position, practice area and areas of interests, and photo;
- Information that you communicate to us;
- Data that you provide to us as part of interacting with the Service, such as your user behavior
- Communications preferences, such as your preferred language and the frequency, type and format of the alerts you sign up to receive.
- Automated Technologies - Device and usage data: The Service may also automatically collect information about
how you and your device interact with the Service, such as:
- Computer, device and connection information, such as IP address, browser type and version, operating system and other software installed on your device, unique device identifier and other technical identifiers, error reports and performance data and your activity on the websites;
- Usage data, such as the features you used, the settings you selected, URL click stream data, including date and time stamp and referring and exit pages, and pages you visited on the Service;
- For educational Services, the course modules and test questions you view, answer or complete;
- For location-aware Services, the physical location of your device.
- Your Input - information you provide to us: The types of personal information that we collect directly from you depends on the content and features of the Service you use and how you otherwise interact with us and may include:
HOW WE USE YOUR INFORMATION. This Section describes how Rowan may share and disclose information. Depending
on how you interact with us and the Service, we share your personal information in the following ways and contexts.
- User Consent: We use information to fulfill requests made by you, such as to:
- Respond to your requests, inquiries, comments or concerns
- Process and fulfill a request, order, download, subscription or other transaction
- Share information with third parties and to enable or permit Authorized Users to enable Third Party Services.
- Manage the Service: We use information to provide, update, maintain and protect our Services, websites and
business. This includes use of information to:
- Provide, activate and manage your access to and use of the Service
- Notify you about changes, updates and other announcements related to the Service
- Enhance and improve the Service, such as add new content and features
- Allow you to participate in interactive features on our website
- Send service, technical and other administrative emails, messages and other types of communications.
- If you are an administrator of an institution with a subscription to a Service, we will use your details to communicate with you about your institution’s subscription and related services. If you supply us contact information of your colleagues, we may include a reference to you when we contact those individuals with communications about the Service
- Engage Third Party Providers who may, for example, provide virtual computing and storage services. Additional information about the Third Party Providers we use to support delivery of our Services is available upon written request
- Manage Security: We use information to enforce our rights, prevent fraud, and for safety and to protect and
defend the rights, property or safety of Rowan or third parties, including enforcing contracts or policies, or
in connection with investigating and preventing fraud or security issues, in the following ways:
- Provide technical, product and other support and help to keep the Service working, safe and secure
- Investigate and help prevent security issues and abuse
- Conduct and administer user testing and surveys
- Prevent or address service errors;
- Address security or technical issues
- Contact you to inform you about changes in our Services, our Services offerings, and important Services-related notices, such as security and fraud notices
- Legal and Corporate Compliance: We use information to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes and enforce our agreements required by applicable law, legal process or regulation.
- Other Legitimate Interests: We use information in furtherance of other legitimate interests in operating our
Services and business. More specifically, we use information to:
- Conduct scientific research and for statistical purposes
- Enhance and improve our events and Services and develop new ones
- Offer you customized content and other personalization to make the Service more efficient for you and more relevant to your interests and geography
- Identify usage trends and develop data analysis, including for the purposes of research, audits, reporting and other business operations and scientific purposes
- Develop and provide search, learning and productivity tools and additional features.
If information is aggregated or de-identified so it is no longer reasonably associated with an identified or identifiable natural person, Rowan may use it for any business purpose. Users determine their own policies and practices for the sharing and disclosure of information, and Rowan does not control how they or any other third parties choose to share or disclose information.
- User Consent: We use information to fulfill requests made by you, such as to:
- DATA RETENTION. We retain your information for as long as necessary to provide the Service and fulfill the transactions you have requested, or for other essential purposes such as complying with our legal obligations, maintaining the Service, resolving disputes, maintaining security, detecting and preventing fraud and abuse, enforcing our agreements and other legitimate interests.
- DATA SECURITY. We work hard to protect information you provide from loss, misuse, and unauthorized access or disclosure. We take into account the sensitivity of the information we collect, process and store, and the current state of technology. We follow generally accepted standards to protect the information submitted to us, both during transmission and once it is received. If you have any questions about the security of your information, you can contact us by clicking this link to reveal Rowan's email address. Given the nature of communications and information processing technology, Rowan cannot guarantee that information, during transmission through the Internet or while stored on our systems or otherwise in our care, will be absolutely safe from intrusion by others. The safety and security of your information also depends on you. Where Rowan has given you (or where you have chosen) a password for access to certain parts of the websites, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share your password with anyone, and we urge you to be careful about giving out information in public areas of the websites like message boards. The information you share in public areas may be viewed by any user of the websites.
- LOCATIONS OF PROCESSING. Your information will be stored and processed by Rowan in the United States. We take steps, including through contracts, to ensure that the information continues to be protected wherever it is located in a manner consistent with the standards of protection required under applicable law. Where personal information is transferred from the European Economic Area (“EEA”) or Switzerland, we rely on appropriate safeguards such as the European Commission-approved Standard Contractual Clauses and Privacy Shield Frameworks to transfer the data and/or as otherwise authorized by applicable law.
GROUNDS FOR PROCESSING. When we collect from you any personal information within the scope of European data
protection laws, we do so:
- where necessary to provide the Service, fulfill a transaction or otherwise perform a contract with you or at your request prior to entering into a contract;
- where necessary for our compliance with applicable law or other legal obligation;
- where necessary for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest;
- where applicable, with your consent;
- as necessary to operate our business, protect the security of our systems and Users, detect or prevent fraud, or fulfill our other legitimate interests as described in the sections above, except where our interests are overridden by your privacy rights; and/or
- where necessary to complete scientific research where omitting such personal information would render impossible or seriously impair the achievement of the specific scientific research purpose.
Where we rely on your consent to process personal information, you have the right to withdraw your consent at any time, and where we rely on legitimate interests, you may have the right to object to our processing.
processing of your information, please contact:
Rowan Legal Department
2157 North Northlake Way, Suite 110
Seattle, WA. 98103
Attn: Rowan's email address
- CHILDREN UNDER THE AGE OF 13. Our Sites are not intended for children under 13 years of age. No one under age 13 may provide any information to or on the Sites. We do not knowingly collect Personal Information from children under 13. If you are under 13, do not use or provide any information on the Sites or on or through any of its features, make any purchases through the Sites, use any of the interactive or public comment features of this Sites or provide any information about yourself to us, including your name, address, telephone number, e-mail address or any screen name or user name you may use. If you believe we might have any information from or about a child under 13, please email us and we will delete that information immediately.